Film in Serbia
• Visas & work permits

Visas & work permits


If the filming period is longer than 90 days, actors and creative crew members, as well as technical staff must obtain a permit for temporary residence in Serbia.

WHERE: The Ministry of Interior, Foreigners Department is the competent authority for the issuance of temporary residence permits.
HOW: A foreign citizen applying for a temporary residence permit should submit general formal documents (passport, health insurance, evidence of the place of stay, financial means) and documents proving reason for staying in Serbia. In case of members of a production crew and/or actors’ group this is typically a cooperation agreement between international and Serbian production companies and evidence that the crew members are seconded to Serbia to produce the audio-visual work.
HOW LONG: It takes about 4 weeks to get a temporary residence permit, as of the day of filing the request for issuance of application.

Any foreign citizen (including film crew members) staying in Serbia for more than 90 days within 6 month time period must obtain a temporary residence permit, except in case a visa is required prior to coming to Serbia.


Ordinary passport holders of the following countries do not need to obtain visas for 90 days stay:

EU member countries, Albania, Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Cuba, Holy See (Vatican), Iceland, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Lichtenstein, Macau, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Norway, New Zealand, Oman, Peru, Qatar, San Marino, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay


Ordinary passport holders of the following countries do not need to obtain visas for 30 days stay:

Belarus, China, India, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine


Holders of diplomatic and official passports of the following countries do not require visas for Serbia for visits up to 90 days:

Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ecuador, Egypt (diplomatic only), Georgia, Guinea, India, Iran (30 days), North Korea, Laos (30 days), Lebanon, Morocco, Pakistan (30 days), Russia, Venezuela, Vietnam


At its meeting of 30 October 2014, the Government of the Republic of Serbia adopted the Decision on visa free entry to the Republic of Serbia for holders of foreign passports having a valid Schengen, UK and other Member States’ visa, or visa of the United States of America, and for holders of foreign passports having residence permit in the countries of the Schengen area, EU or the United States of America.


Foreign nationals visiting Serbia who are required to obtain visas at the diplomatic or consular mission of the Serbia need:

-Valid Passport;
-Letter of invitation (verified by the competent Serbian authority) or an invitation by a company for a business visit or a receipt or authorized tourist company certifying that the travel arrangement has been paid for (letter of credit or other payment receipt);
-Completed visa application form;
-Photo (size 3,5×4.5 cm);
-Return ticket or itinerary (copy of Driving License and insurance if you travel by car);
-Proof of sufficient funds in hard currency;
-Certificate that a health fund shall cover the medical costs in Serbia, if any.

If you are not sure you need visa or not please check it on this LINK.


Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Serbia
Kneza Milosa 24-26, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Phone: +381 11 3616 333, 3068 561
Fax: +381 11 3618 366


Actors and members of creative team including cast are not required to obtain work permits in order to shoot in Serbia.
Other crew members (technical stuff) must obtain a work permit. Usually, it takes around 2 weeks to obtain a work permit. The National Employment Agency is a competent authority for the issuance of work permits.

Work permit can be issued based on: (1) self-employment; (2) secondment; or (3) employment. Depending on the basis for issuance of work permit different documents should be submitted to the National Employment Agency.  However, in each of these cases an agreement concluded between a domestic producer and a foreign citizen is required.