Smederevo Fortress is the last great creation of the Serbian military construction, and one of the largest fortifications in Europe. Fortress is of a triangular ground plan, surrounded by the powerful primary ramparts, with four towers towards the land side. It was built between 1428 and 1430 during the reign of Despot Djuradj Brankovic. Smederevo Fortress was declared a Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and is protected by the Republic of Serbia. Today it is a popular tourist site, and an exclusive venue for musical, theatrical and other cultural events.